Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Tasty Fruitcake

I don't like fruitcakes that have all that citron fruit in them so I have been looking for some time for a recipe that I would like to try. I was browsing through some of my cookbooks and saw this recipe in this book by Julee Rosso. Another Michigander!! :) The ingredients sounded very good......and NO citron! Today I made it and was very pleased; I loved it! The texture of this fruitcake is just like the store-bought cakes, nice and moist. I have bought some though that are dry..and of course have that citron in them. Can you tell I am not a fan of that? LOL
I was happy it made four of the small pans so I could put mine back in action again! I have eaten half of one of the pans already, but seriously, look how small they are!

The recipe says to wrap it well and store it in a tin for a couple of weeks so that is why I wanted to make it today so it would be ready for Christmas, but I had to try it (just thinking of my guests, of course). Since I ate half a pan already, you know it doesn't need two weeks to develope flavor...at least not for me! :) I wrapped up the other three and now have to look for something to store them in, maybe a tupperware container as I don't have a tin to hold them all. I thought I would share the recipe in case anyone else wants fruitcake...without the citron. Happy Baking!
Cherry-Walnut Fruitcake
2 cups dried cherries
2 cups chopped, pitted dates
1 cup cream sherry
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups chopped walnuts
1 egg
2 egg whites
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly spray or wipe four 3x6x2- inch loaf pans with vegetable oil. In large bowl , combine the cherries, dates, 1/2 cup of the sherry;set aside for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. In separate large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add nuts. Add the egg and egg whites, and mix well. Stir the flour mixture into the fruit mixture. Place 1 cup of batter into each pan. Bake for one hour, or until golden brown and tests done. Remove from oven and immediately pour the remaining half cup of sherry over the loaves. Keep in a tin, well wrapped with plastic wrap for up to two weeks.


3 comments:

  1. I have her other cookbook, New Basics, nice book! Never had the fruitcake, but it looks so good! Not a fan of citron but love cherries and walnuts! Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would like this recipe since you are not a fan of the citron either! I have had this book for several yrs. but hadn't tryed this recipe until now. I'll have to look for the 'New Basics' book, I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm, I am hungry looking at all your yummy looking creations.

    ReplyDelete